Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Top 13 Books of 2013

This year I managed to read 119 books and I am always asked which are my favorites. It was difficult to choose out of all those books only a few to name as the top books of the year. In the order which I read 
them, I present to you my top 13 books of 2013.



Enders Game by Orson Scott Card

My friend had been recommending this book for years and I finally read it this year. It's the first classic science fiction I've read and I enjoyed it immensely and hope to read more classic sci-fi this coming year.


Sammy Keyes and the Showdown in Sin City by Wendelin Van Draanen

I would call this the keystone book for the Sammy Keyes series, and without revealing any spoilers, it is definitely my favorite book in the series that I've been reading for the past 10 years.


Son by Lois Lowry

Not many people know about the final book in the Giver quartet that was released this year. It nicely wraps up and brings together the characters and events from the three previous books and I would highly recommend it.


Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys

In most WWII historical fiction, the focus tends to be on Germany, maybe England and other western European countries, but in this book we are told a moving story about a young girl sent to the Russian labor camps. It is a hidden gem in the YA historical fiction genre.


Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

Like many others, I rave about Eleanor & Park. It is probably one of the most moving and touching contemporary YA books out there and is a standout in the YA contemporary romance genre.


Legend by Marie Lu

I think it was the fact that the story was told from two opposite perspectives that really drew me into this book. Both Day and June's POV were well-written and distinct which made it a fantastic read. 


The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

This was one of the few adult books I read this year and I was blown away. While the story and action was more drawn out then the fast-paced YA book I typically read, it is what made this story stand out.


Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein

A beautiful book on friendship set in the backdrop of WWII, Code Name Verity had me hooked from the beginning with a plot twist that I was not expecting. 


Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac by Gabrielle Zevin 

This is not your typical amnesia story. There is such a rich character development and the story unfolds so beautifully that it makes you think about your own life and how you deal with your own past. And of course who doesn't love a good open ending.

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Unfortunately, the ending of this book was spoiled for me and I thought that might affect my final thoughts on the book. In the end, though, I thought this books was just as fantastic as all the rave reviews promised. The characters were so relatable, even though I have, fortunately, never been in a similar situation, which is what, I think, author John Green wanted to convey.


The Beginning of Everything by Robyn Schneider

The cover of this book is deceiving, but not in a bad way. I was not expecting much from this book, although I found the synopsis interesting. By the end of the books I couldn't put it down and, while it wasn't the ending I was expecting, I thought it was a great ending for a great book


When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead

I picked this up on a whim at a book fair and read it expecting a light middle grade read but I was blown away. It totally deserves the Newbery award it received. The plot twist in the end is just so unexpected but in the most wonderful way possible.


Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

This book was a lesson in "don't judge a book by it's cover". There is nothing like a thrilling book about assassins, magic, and a threat to the main characters life to get your heart racing.

To see all the books I've read this year check out this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment