Sunday, June 10, 2018

Audiobook Review || Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by Newt Scamander

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (Hogwarts Library Book) by Newt Scamander 


Publication Date: March 14th, 2017 (rev. ed.)
Publisher: Scholastic Inc.
Genre: Middle Grade Fiction
Source: Purchased

Summary

An approved textbook at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry since publication, Newt Scamander's masterpiece has entertained wizarding families through the generations. Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them is an indispensable introduction to the magical beasts of the wizarding world.

(Courtesy of Goodreads)


My Review

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them written by Newt Scamander (aka J.K. Rowling) and narrated by Eddie Redmayne. Redmayne’s narration of the book truly brought the book to life. Some of my favorite audiobooks are those that are narrated by the author because it feels more like a conversation than a book and that’s exactly what I felt while listening to this book.

I can’t do a fair comparison to the original edition of the book published in 2001 as I have never read it but just listening to this edition I could tell where it had probably been modified to take into account the new series of movies. Not only did it introduce new creatures (as explicitly stated in the introduction of the book), but the introduction itself alluded to forthcoming information that will be introduced in later films in the Fantastic Beasts movie series. The introductory section where we get some of the backstory on Newt and his research on magical creatures  really stood out to me as particularly interesting to a huge Harry Potter fan such as myself.

Eddie Redmayne’s narration of the book was spectacular. As someone who has seen the movie multiple times, I feel that Redmayne is Newt Scamander in my mind and so having him narrate the book made it feel all the more realistic. He is an excellent narrator that really brings this “textbook” to life. After listening to this, part of me really hopes that someday Quidditch Through the Ages and The Tales of Beedle the Bard will also be available as audiobooks.

While it’s a very short audiobook (just over an hour and a half long), I really do think it’s worth it. As a huge Harry Potter fan I was not disappointed in the quality of the audiobook or the content of the book itself. I highly recommend this to any Harry Potter fan, because I truly think they will enjoy it.



Happy reading!



No comments:

Post a Comment