Friday, June 8, 2018

June 2018 TBR

To say I'm pretty bad at sticking to my planned TBRs is an understatement and yet, moth after month, I always make one.

As I make my glorious, hopefully long-term, return to book blogging, I though I would start out with a bread-and-butter post across the book blogging world, so here we are.

I won't go into too many details about why I was gone for three years, but the short story can be summed up in two words -- grad school. Getting a PhD in STEM is no joke people. Recently, though, I realized I needed a creative outlet, and writing about books used to be one of my favorite past times so why not bring it back. I need something to save me from the monotony of lab work. Don't get me wrong, working toward a PhD is very rewarding, but I've never just lived and breathed science. Books are such an integral part of my life -- and my sanity! Anyway, you didn't come here for my life story, you came here for the books, so without further ado, here's my TBR:

  • The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster -- Somehow I never read The Phantom Tollbooth as a child, and seeing as it's one of my boyfriend's favorite children's book and he gave me a copy for Valentine's day I figure now is a good a time as ever to pick it up.
  • The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson -- A couple months ago, I started re-reading the first book in the Mistborn trilogy one late night when I couldn't fall asleep. I've been reading a few pages here and there but then got sucked in last month and have been reading it in 30-40 page chucks every day. Wow, I'd forgotten how amazing this series is!
  • A Conjuring of Light by V.E. Schwab -- I read A Gathering of Shadows earlier this year, had every intention of reading ACOL right away, and then a reading slump hit and I never got around to it. That ends this month. I'm ready to be destroyed by this conclusion to what is probably one of my favorite fantasy series. My. Body. Is. Ready.
  • Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling -- The fourth installment in my yearly Harry Potter re-read, 'nuff said. 
  • The Woman who Smashed Codes by Jason Fagone -- I've been on a "women in STEM" kick recently (and by recently, I mean for the last year) and this is my latest read, or rather listen. I started listening to this book on Audible last month and intend to finish it this month. Started out kind of slow, but it's picking up and getting good. 
  • The Library at Mount Char by Scott Hawkins -- This was a last minute addition, but Ashley from SaidTheStory is hosting a read-a-long for this book starting today, June 8th, until June 18th and I decided to join! It's not too late to join in so head over to her channel for more details.
Whew, that's a little ambitious for someone who is just getting out of a reading slump!I don't know if I'll actually get to all of these books, but I'd rather give myself a lot of options. Who knows, maybe I'll be even more of a rebel and go off-list! Check back in at the end of the month to see what I actually ended up reading. 

Happy reading!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment